Donald S. Patterson

Don, US Army, 2nd Lt Don about 10 years old

This is my father, Donald S. Patterson, born November 3, 1917, in a log cabin on the Current River in Shannon County. Rector was the closest post office; Eminence was (still is) the county seat. Don's family moved to Salem in 1921, and then on to St. Louis. Don went to Marquette School for 3 months of his first grade year. His father, Ed, looked for work in Chicago for 3 months, but he and Maude ended up divorcing in St. Louis. Don had his last 2 months of first grade back in Salem. They lived there from 1923 to 1927. The family was back together for a year and a half in St. Louis; Velma was back from Chicago, Vernon was home, Ed was there. Then Maude moved back to Salem without Ed. She and Don lived in Cape Girardeau for almost two years from 1932. In September 1933 they moved to N. Grand Ave. in St. Louis, where Don attended Beaumont High School. There were three or four more moves around town before Don was graduated from Beaumont: Bonita Park (Overland), around 1935 to Lexington Ave. where their neighbors were the Leschinsky's (a 4-family flat), and later Farland Ave. He didn't report all his changes of residence so that he wouldn't have to keep changing schools. Then Maude moved to Highland Ave. in Wellston. While she visited Vernon in California, Don took a room on West Pine. After a neighbor, Mabel Leschinsky, heard Don singing in the shower, she convinced him to come sing at Giddings-Boyle Presbyterian church, which he joined in 1935. He very much enjoyed the choir there, made good lifelong friends, and best of all, met his future wife. They married July 15, 1939, driving across the state to be married at the home of Dr. Wright, the minister who had meant so much to them and the other youth of the church. They honeymooned in the Wisconsin Dells.

Don enlisted in the US Army in WWII, not waiting to be drafted, so that he could take the exam for officer's training. His three months of basic training were at Camp Robb, CA, and then officer training was at Fort Sill, OK. Don was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant on 1 Apr 1943. When he was sent back to Camp Robb for field artillery training, Geneva quit her job and joined him in California. When Don shipped out to Hawaii, it was on such short notice that he couldn't tell her: she went to meet him one day and found him gone. (Their friends on the Monterrey Peninsula encouraged her to stay in California with them, but she returned to St. Louis and her job as a commercial artist at International Shoe.)

Don saw active duty in the Philippine Islands until the close of the war with the 164th Field Artillery, 40th Army Division. He was with the Army of Occupation for three months in Korea, disarming the Japanese and sending them home.

Don studied music and voice at the St. Louis Institute of Music for a time, and with his rich bass-baritone voice he was a much-appreciated soloist at the churches he joined: Giddings-Boyle Presbyterian, Friedens E&R; St. Andrew by the Sea (Hilton Head, 6 years), and then First Presbyterian Church on Hilton Head Island (16 years). He sang at many weddings and gave recitals around St. Louis.

Hawaii, May 23, 1974He started working at a food brokerage, as an office boy, while in high school, doing his homework as he rode the streetcars. and then went to work full time. A good student, who enjoyed Latin, French, history and math, he would love to have gone to college, but hadn't the means. He advanced at work, especially after his years as an office in WWII boosted his confidence. In 1967 or 1968, Don and partner Joe Bene split off from the Paskal-Morris brokerage to found the Bene-Patterson Food Brokerage. He was a member of the Allied Food Club and President in 1970-1971.

He and Geneva enjoyed many business-related trips, be they annual food brokerage conventions - often held in New York City, where they always stayed at the Americana; or award trips for sales performance. And there were purely personal vacations every year, too, as Don and G both enjoyed travel (G especially!). Don put together a list of their travels which has been incorporated into the timeline on G's site. Business trips were always as two couples, the firm's partners. But here we have a photo of Don and Geneva in Hawaii, May 1974, with his first partner, Joseph Bene, as well as Ray Hootman, the younger partner who stepped in when Joe retired.

When Don retired in January 1980, he and Geneva moved to the home in Sea Pines, Hilton Head, that they had purchased in 1973. Don was a good boss, always a peacemaker, always treating people more than fairly, and with a good sense of humor, so he was much loved by his employees.

An avid bridge player, he and Geneva both became Bronze life masters in duplicate bridge in January 1987, and continued advancing over the next two decades as they traveled to tournaments. Don also very much enjoyed golf, his long drives being memorable.

You can see and hear Don sing on YouTube where I uploaded a recording of his singing a favorite church anthem, "The Holy City". And that was when he was about 78 ... sure wish you could all have heard him live when in his 50s. Some of the tracks on this page are from that era, sadly not recorded well, but this is what we have, and we treasure his voice.

Don as US Army 2nd Lieutenant in WWII Don stationed in the Pacific in WWII

In his own words : Don's service in World War II

164th Field Artillery, 40th Division

I joined the 164th in Guadacanal January 1944 and participated in the Luzon invasion (in the Phillipines) Jan. 6. We advanced to Clark Field and then were relieved by the First Cavalary Division. After the Luzon landing in January '45, we were sent to Leyte in late March for mopping up the remaining Japanese and we were the supporting artillery for the 108th Infantry.

On May 8th we landed on Mindanao and worked south for about a month until we met up with the 31st Division who had started from the south end.

In late June we were sent to Panay to train for the Invasion of Japan which was to be on October 31, 3 days before the main attack on the north side of Kyusho and then we were to be relieved and sent home, if we survived. Thanks to President Truman's decision on the atomic bomb I was able to stay alive and come home.

We were then sent to Pusan, Korea to take over and send all the Japanese home and turn the country back to the people and their own Government in early September.

On November 21st we left on a ship home from Seoul and December 14th we arrived in Tacoma and stayed at Fort Lewis until trains were arranged and I returned to St. Louis, Missouri, December 22, 1945.

I was a 1st Lieutenant and Survey Officer for the 164th and we never fired a short round in all our missions. We were a really good outfit and performed well in combat.

Ron and Don at Ron's house, 1980 Don and Geneva at home in Sea Pines after dinner out Pat at Don, Christmas in Sea Pines Ron and Jo visiting Don and Geneva in Vero Beach at Christmas Don and Geneva, night out, December 2006

More about the Ozarks and Missouri's beautiful waters. Not an area Don cared to return to, but certainly one of natural beauty.